Pros and cons of a heated driveway system
Installation of radiant heat systems have been popular in commercial setups for more than 25 years; however, for residences, it started trending for 15 years. Heated driveways benefit those who don’t have the time or physical ability to remove snow by other means.
Two types of technology are available for the heated system: electric and water-based systems. Here is a study on the Pros and cons of a heated driveway system compared to using ice melt on concrete.
- Save your time by pulling and shoveling the ice and snow in freezing winters.
- Save the cost of hiring professional ice and snow removal services.
- It protects from ice melt concrete damages like cracks, corrosion, spalling, and scaling caused by Salt and Chloride based ice melt.
- Installing a heated driveway is relatively costly. You have to hire a licensed contractor and expect to pay $13,000 to $16,000.
- If your heated driveway system fails, repairing it can lead to tearing out part or the entire driveway.
- A heated driveway system cannot cover all the corners and stairs, and you still be shoveling the ice and snow from those areas.
- A heated driveway system cannot be installed on an existing driveway. Instead, you have to replace and resurface it, which may increase your cost even more.
- Indeed, it will increase your electricity or gas bills due to increased consumption with a heated driveway system. In addition, electricity charges are much higher in some areas than hiring a snow-removal service.
Using Ice Melt On Concrete
Using ice melt appropriately on any surface calls for some effort, but this way, you can cover every corner of your driveway and walkway stairs, and it will be relatively less costly. However, to be safe from Ice melt concrete damage, you must choose the right ice melt product.
We are aware of the hazardous effects of Salt and chloride-based ice melt like sodium chloride, calcium chloride, and magnesium chloride, which can corrode the metal rebar and crack the concrete once it enters the concrete capillaries and refreezes; therefore, it is better to choose a natural urea-based ice melt.
Safe Thaw Protects You From Ice Melt Concrete Damage
Safe Thaw is a secret blend of urea that is 100% natural, non-toxic, and biodegradable. This blend is highly effective even below freezing point, cost-effective as it covers a more extensive area with a smaller quantity, protects cracks and corrosion as it does not allow water brine to reform the ice, and is safe for your property, machinery, and vehicles. In addition, its concentrated formula provides long-term and maximum effectiveness and extended shelf life.
100% salt & chloride-free, fast acting Ice Management Solution
A heated driveway system is a good option for those who do not have time or are physically challenged to shovel the ice and snow and are ready to bear the additional cost. However, it can still not cover every corner and stair, and sometimes you need ice melt products. Hence better choose a natural ice melt and have peace of mind if you are capable of affording those little efforts.
Try Also Our Other Winter Safety Products:
The Original and #1 Selling Pet and Child Safe Ice Melt for over 20 years. Guaranteed environmentally safe –It won’t harm animals or children, and it won’t damage your property. That’s Safe Paw. Safe Paw can change how winter affects our planet.
Walk On Ice
The handy disposable canister can be taken everywhere, with the same 100% naturally occurring minerals that provide instant traction on ice or snow. Use it on sidewalks, steps, or as an instant traction agent for your car.