Is It Ok To Use Any Ice Melt On Your Granite Steps?
Granite steps are one of the easiest to lay and last several years. However, they become slippery come winter, making walking difficult. You need to purchase the best ice melt for environment that is not only safe for your landscape but also for kids and pets to walk. Several products are available in the market, but granite needs a product that will make it less prone to injuries during winter.
What Are The Advantages Of Having Granite Steps?
While we concentrate on concrete or asphalt as our go-to materials for driveways, patios, or steps, there are other materials we can use.
One of the materials gaining popularity amongst several homeowners is granite. Let us take a quick peek into the advantages of using granite for steps.
– They look gorgeous and give an elegant look to the entry of your home.
– They become the focal point of your home’s entry.
– They are stain-resistant and are quick to clean every day.
– They come in visually appealing designs and patterns that are ideal for any home.
– They are one of the sturdiest materials on the market and make a great investment if you are not keen on using concrete.
Every material has its pros and cons, including granite.
What Are The Disadvantages Of Having Granite Steps?
They are great to look at and are easy to clean; however, there are certain elements you must keep in mind.
– They have a smooth finish compared to concrete or asphalt, making them slippery in winters.
– There are high chances of skidding or slipping if you have not applied the best ice melt for granite steps or invested in anti-skid mats.
– High chances of injuring yourself, kids, or pets at home if the steps are not cleared almost every day during winter.
– It may be one of the sturdiest materials on the market, but if a heavy object falls, it can crack or chip.
– You have to replace the entire section and not just a part.
Now that we know the advantages and disadvantages of using granite on steps, the next question is about using the best ice melt for granite steps.
– It is not ok to use any ice melt for granite steps.
– Some blends have a higher concentration of sodium chloride, popularly known as rock salt, making it harsh on your granite steps.
– Salt is abrasive and can remove the sheen and smoothness of your granite steps.
– While calcium chloride ice melt or magnesium chloride ice melt is considered a safe product to use on granite steps, it is not the best ice melt for the environment.
100% salt & chloride-free, fast acting Ice Management Solution
While selecting the best ice melt for granite steps, you must consider every factor. From making it slip-resistant to not removing its sheen and cleaning the granite steps daily. One of the best ice melt for environment and safe for granite is Safe Thaw.
It is a urea-modified ice melt product with active glycols and inhibitors, special surfactants, and ice melting boosters that reduce the effect of snow on granite. It can be cleared quickly and acts as a secondary booster. It is imperative to understand not every ice melt is safe for every material
Try Also Our Other Winter Safety Products:
The Original and #1 Selling Pet and Child Safe Ice Melt for over 20 years. Guaranteed environmentally safe –It won’t harm animals or children, and it won’t damage your property. That’s Safe Paw. Safe Paw can change how winter affects our planet.
Walk On Ice
Prevent slips at home, work or on the go, The handy disposable canister can be taken everywhere, with the same 100% naturally occurring minerals that provide instant traction on ice or snow. Use it on sidewalks, steps, or as an instant traction agent for your car.